Tuesday, March 04, 2008

As cute and sappy as those greeting cards

You know those black and white greeting cards that have little kids in cute romantic poses with each other and the only color is the flower? You know, like a little boy and girl holding hands and there is a red rose, and the inside is something sappy like "Being with you keeps me young..." or something like that. Well Annabelle gave me a greeting card moment today as we left daycare.

One of Annabelle's best buddies at school is Alex - a little boy only a few weeks older then her and about two inches shorter. He is a cutie and I hear from their teacher that they spend all day together. Apparently they have a complicated love/hate relationship. Much of the day they spend playing, talking, and following each other, but either one can turn on a dime, look at the other one wrong and they spend the next few minutes very annoyed with each other.

So anyway...I pick Annabelle up today and as we get ready to leave I tell her "Say goodbye to Alex." So they say their goodbyes and then Annabelle says "Ah hug" (she says Ah anything when she wants something), so Alex gets up and gives her a hug (which always melts my heart). But then, as I am talking to the teacher, I don't hear any words pass, but Alex stands up again, leans in, Annie leans, and they give each a kiss on the lips. IT WAS SO CUTE!! It was just so darned so sweet, I could barely contain myself. I am not sure if Annabelle or Alex asked for the kiss, but the way they just leaned in and gave this sweet little kid kiss is about the cutest thing I have ever seen.

I had to share - those cheesy greeting card moments don't seem as cheesy when it's your kid.