Sunday, October 30, 2005

The Second Trimester Begins

Pregnancy math is not your typical elementary math: although pregnancy is supposedly nine months long, it actually comes out to be 40 weeks, which is technically more like 9 and 1/2 months long. Then it is broken up into "trimesters" that logically should be about three months per trimester but most medical experts put it at 14 weeks per trimester. Pregnancy math makes no sense! That aside, I officially completed my fourteenth week this past week and am now truly in my second trimester. Yay, the supposedly "golden" trimester of the three.

I do notice a few "perks" already to this new trimester - I almost never have any nausea and my skin seems to be healthy and supple - okay, a little dry, but still - nice skin is a perk on days when I don't feel like wearing makeup. I am still only showing a little bump along my belly but the baby grows in leaps and bounds over the next month so in no time I am sure I will be obviously pregnant to outside viewers. I just got back to Chicago after making a trip to New Mexico to help my mother move my grandmother to Wisconsin. Not being a huge fan of flying, I am content to let that be my last plane trip for awhile! But it went well and I am feeling physically good so that is all a plus.

The baby is somewhere between 3-4 inches long now and apparently moves a lot, even though I cannot feel the movements yet. The gender is now distinguishable so we officially have a girl or a boy now, we just don't know which one yet! That fun news will come in mid-December. Sam is still in the glow of the White Sox becoming World Series Champs and the weather today is beautiful! Happy Halloween!