Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My child, Ms. Manners

As Annabelle has been getting along in years, we've been trying to get her into the habit of her P's and Q's. Especially since she really enjoys making herself burp. I think this is largely due to the rise that it gets out of her mother and, of course, the sheer joy of belching. When she does though we're always insistent on hearing the magic "excuse me" come from her. We'll work on the social niceties of where exactly is it appropriate to belch later. She's only 2 for Pete's sake!
So, anyway, we're sitting around the other night eating dinner. I, being Sammy, feel the need to burp and so I do. Nikki always feels the need to demand an immediate "Excuse me" from me so as to set a good example, so here's how the conversation goes...

Sam: (burp)
Nikki: What do you say daddy?
Annabelle: Excuse me!
Sam: Thank you!
Annabelle: You're welcome!

At which point I laugh hysterically at the bewildered look on Nikki's face at the realization of what the heck just happened. Annabelle just sits there with a big old grin on her face, just pleased as punch with herself.
It was pretty funny.